segunda-feira, 20 de fevereiro de 2012

Ever had The Mother of all Breakdowns in an important meeting?

Chestist-sun-red-and-black

 

 

I have not experienced what you described but this week I was astounded with one of my BNI chapter fellow member. We are not supposed to be absent from any of our weekly meetings, if we do not go for more than 3 times we can be expelled. That is the principle. However, we can have a substitute for those occasions when we simply cannot make it, and I mean situations of real illness and not that many more.

 

Bni_logo

 

 

There is this guy, that seems to be above this rule; in the period of two and half months, since I joined this chapter, he was present in maybe 3 meetings; all the others he either was absent or was absent and sent a substitute, to the point of being the substitute making the 10 minute presentation of his business, something that I cannot understand at all.

 

Last meeting he went, and as it was the first day without visitors, we were a bit less formal and decided to randomly do each other’s elevator pitch. The point was to test how well we knew each other’s business, as that is determinant for the BNI concept.

 

He had to make the elevator speech of another translator woman there. He knows her for quite a while, that was not the problem, but he started the speech asking us all if we knew what translations were? I had to say that I did. He insisted with the same question, I insisted with the same answer, and we proceeded until someone else spoke my elevator pitch. I told that person to pay attention. I am a technical translator.

 

It seems it was awkward for me to say that, but I was extremely disappointed – that person did not know me after two and half months sharing the same chapter with 20 people.

 

This, kind of works, as “the Mother of all Breakdowns” – if he does not know, what am I doing there, or what is he doing there. I am still thinking about it. 

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário